Sunday, July 04, 2010

Sucker for love

Just like Ambeth Ocampo, in one of his articles, where he said he had to consult a dictionary for the word "plebeian" for an expository on Bonifacio, I looked up on "pariah" to start weaving my way into blogging Set A or Pariah Paraiso of Virgin Labfest 6. Later in the writing struggle, I realized, the denotation didn't matter.

In what shone brightest for me, Balunbalunan, Bingibingihan (Debbie Ann Tan) was indeed Paradise, one hidden along the margins of society. It reflected de-/reconstruction of love, one not easily apparent to the bigoted mainstream eye, but nevertheless celebratory of this universal abstract's essence. I fully related to this: I myself share love as it exists along the margins.

There may be two things to remember about this reconstruction of love: one, it may lack articulation but is well understood within one's chalk circle (no matter how big or small-er), and two, other people, even like pariahs may never fully understand. I have to admit that many times, even with my friends, I don't fully understand.

They may see pity when it's a faithful offering. They may see opportunism when it's purpose driven. They may see meaningless suffering when it's loving sacrifice. Under a fading spotlight, I continued to see Gilbeys' and Brandy's embrace bright, shining, sparkling. They were in Paradise, never mind the wreckage all around. (It helped that the roles were carried out by magnificos Bembol Roco and Missy Maramara.)

It was a pleasant realization to have witnessed a demonstration of a heterosexual love relationship that's nowhere trapped in heterosexist mold. Even some of my gay friends couldn't grow out of that. (Wouldn't?)

Should there be future chitchat on VLF6, if ever I'm given opportunity to do the angling, I think I will always take off from this opus. The important message is in this one and I don't have to lay on the big words. I could always say, well, I'm just a sucker for love.

P.S. Other works staged in this Set included Isagani (Alexis Dorola Yasuda) and Bakit Wala Nang Nagtatagpo Sa Philcoa Oberpas (Carlo Pacolor Garcia).

No comments: