Sunday, July 11, 2010

Off-stage repartee

I'm a "people watcher". Sometimes I get my entertainment not from the events I attended but from other people in attendance. At the recently concluded Virgin Labfest 6, interactions I observed from people around me also make for good blogging. I didn't need to be consciously snooping around. The opportunities would present themselves, unsolicited.

Snacks

On my way to CCP, I made a quick stop at Mercury Drugstore to buy medicine and bottled water. While walking towards the beverage section, two girls blocked my way, seemed to be in argument over one-liter PET bottle of C2 (iced tea drink) of the yellow variety.
GIRL 1 (cradling the C2 bottle): Bakit ba? Masarap naman to ah.
GIRL 2: Eh, basta! Wala na bang iba? Ayoko nyan noh... 
(GIRL 2 starts looking around for something else.)
GIRL 1: Ako naman ang bibili ah. Bakit ba?
(GIRL 2 stares at friend then starts walking away, sulking. GIRL 1 follows, obviously exasperated.)
GIRL 1: Oh eto. Gusto mo ng snacks?!
(GIRL 1 grabs from a nearby shelf 100g. pack of Nescafe powdered coffee, then slaps it on GIRL 2's shoulders.)
Button Pins

While in the CCP Gift Shop, Eon jabbing his notebook PC blogging in career mode, and I sipping hot chocolate and reading news on my cellphone, two girls (not the pair above) entered. One looked bored, the other took interest in a bowl of button pins with assorted designs.
GIRL 1 (one hand deep into the bowl): Ay! Gusto ko ng ganito. Eto kaya? Bagay ba?
(GIRL 1 shows to friend GIRL 2, who looks over lazily then away again, seemingly hoping to find something to interest her. GIRL 1 couldn't decide, looks for more, and thinks out loud repeatedly "Eto kaya?")
GIRL 1 (a little more excitedly): Or... eto kaya?
GIRL 2 (looks and dead pans): Hmmm... bagay.
I looked up and saw what GIRL 1 was holding up: the button pin says, "MAARTE."

Meaning

As audience were exiting for intermission, two young people behind me were evaluating the recently concluded play. I couldn't see them but they sounded younger than me, one male and one female.
MALE: Woah! Grabe. Ano tingin mo dun sa play?
FEMALE: Ewan. Gosh! I was so bored. Hindi ko maintindihan.
MALE: Ah baka because it's in English...
(Three-second pause.)
FEMALE: What? What are you trying to say?
(Not unexpectedly, pregnant silence between the two.)

No comments: