Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Nothing day made special

It was a nothing day, meaning, it was a day that consisted of my usual run of things. If I was not in the office trying to solve a million and one things, I would be at home trying to rediscover the Internet or cable TV, or yet still, I would be in the mall buying stuff and paying bills. Which was what I was looking like doing for most of the day that day - paying bills. I even thought, maybe if I had enough cash left in my wallet after this, I'd grab something to eat. It was so, so normal.

Inside the bank, thankfully cooler, heat outside was punishing; I was queued up as soon as I filled my payment slip for my and hunny's credit card bills. This being the middle of the day, the queue wasn't that long, as usually the case in between the rush of lunch breaks and office-to-home. I remember I was looking at the FOREX rates, USD improved versus PHP; that was good for my small stash of USD's, I thought. I was about to start fantasizing again what I could do with my USD's saved up when the a stranger's finger tapped my back. It was slight, I was almost not sure if someone's had actually called my attention. I tried to pretend to look bored and turned around.

I couldn't explain the feeling. I felt I knew him but not quite. He was someone I know, used to know, never quite really known, all of the above, all at once. But it was a good feeling, inspite being inexplicable. All to soon, like as soon as the neurons started working and confirming and settling the initial disbelief/shock/whatev's, I was able to make the most dashing and sophisticated acknowledgment known to man: "Oh, hey!" I felt stupid. I couldn't remember what he was saying then, my mind was still running its catalogue/cross-referencing program and I've run out of RAM. The rest of my body and senses were running on automatic. The last thing I remember was that he asked me to stay after I made my payments, and that he was about to settle his own bills. So I sat at one of the bank's waiting benches, underneath now-ignored FOREX rates chart.

We went out of the bank together. I knew he was on his way home, and I was on my way somewhere. I couldn't remember then where I was supposed to go. This day of automaton order suddenly ditched into disarray. Luckily, my feet found its rightful direction. He went my way (which was away from where I think he should be heading), us exchanging Q-and-A's also known as small talk. I was admiring at how healthy and happy he looked, though I never had the chance to actually find out if he were. A small piece of tissue paper peeked on his left shoulder underneath his shirt; the heat was punishing, he was taking care of himself. Somewhere in SM Makati's mall we stopped, exchanged numbers, then went separate ways. I knew as I walked and watched our distances widen that I panicked. I was feeling uncomfortable for not having the right words or questions to keep us talking. But also I was feeling needy and wishful for this happy moment to go on; having it ended so abruptly under the guise of getting on with the business of the day was wee-bit painful. I remembered what I was supposed to do next: I was going to pay my cellphone bill.

He texted a reassuring note. At the time, I was inside the Globe business center, regretting for favoring this forever-slow queue over what could be tremendously fabulous time with an old friend (maybe over coffee or something of the like). Ah, there's hope for a next time... maybe the next time would be more special...

2 comments:

Gregg D'Bully said...

Looking back. Marami akong ganyan pero alam ko isa ka na sa mga pagod magbasa ng mga looking back ko.

Gregg D'Bully said...

By the way pano pala kita malink sa site ko. May blogspot na rin ako. Addy is pensivebull.blogspot.com